Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Three Writes and Makes You a Winner

Write Your GoalsBecoming a self-motivated dynamo is easy as one, two, three and generates three glorious benefits: clarity, confidence and charisma. We’ll do this together. Get a blank piece of paper and pen – I know, so “old school” – but this allows you to read and write as we go step by step.

1. Write down your goals.
Merchandising mogul J.C. Penny said, “Give me a stock clerk with a goal, and I will give you a man who will make history. Give me a man without a goal, and I will give you a stock clerk.” Let’s make your history. Get your goals out of your head and on paper so you can see and read what you want. This gives you immediate focus and clarity.

2. Write down specific goals.
Look at your list and edit each line to be specific. The more detailed you are the better. Here are a couple of examples of how to modify your list.

Good: I want to lose weight.
Better: I will lose 12 pounds.

Good: I want to save money.
Better: I will save $140.

Good: I want to give a tasteful toast.
Better: I will say a tasteful toast for Bob’s birthday.

E.B. White, American author best known for English language style guide, The Elements of Style, and Charlotte’s Web said, “I rewrite a good deal to make it clear.” With minor practice you’ll skip step two and get-it-all-done in step number one, which reinforces clarity and builds your confidence.

3. Write down due dates.
“Goals are dreams with deadlines,” is a quote from Think and Grow Rich author Napoleon Hill. Adding a simple target due date feeds your instinctual need to achieve and succeed.

Better: I will lose 12 pounds.
Best: I will lose 12 pounds by March 15th (1 pound a week).

Better: I will save $140.
Best: I will save $140 a month ($5 a day).

Better: I will say a tasteful toast for Bob’s birthday.
Best: I will say a tasteful toast for Bob’s birthday on July 20th.

Review your list and prioritize based upon the earliest due date. Look at item number one and write down the first three actions you need to take in order to complete this goal, then do items one, two and three.

Clarity and confidence are intangible feelings that grow out of achievement, which translate into charisma that will manifest in the way you walk and talk as you complete each step in reaching your ultimate goal.

Follow the above write steps and you’ll be in the right place at the right time and be a winner!

Related Articles:
Pick One and Get It Done
Find Your Focus and Win Your Game
New Year’s Nuptials

Your turn: What goal are you going to focus on and follow through to completion?

No comments:

 
Subscribe to Tasteful Toasts by Email